Sunday, September 09, 2007

New Fulbrighters in Town

The newbie Fulbrighters arrived last week. It's fun to have fresh new faces in Delhi. It kinda made me feel like the equivalent of a sketchy alum that still hangs around New Haven... I've been here for so long! But it also made me jealous: I envy them starting off, having this whole year in front of them. A whole year during which they can essentially do whatever they want, living in the great country that is India.

And it made me sad that I'm leaving soon. I leave in less than six weeks! UNbelievable! I knew all along that my Fulbright and my visa would expire on October 6th. About two weeks ago, I realized how damn CLOSE October 6 is! I can't leave India that soon! So I freaked out and did the easiest thing: applied for a Fulbright extension. That is, with the help of a little peer pressure from some Fulbrighter friends staying until March... (you know who you are). So now I am crossing my fingers that the GOI (government of india, for those of you who have yet to deal with indian governmental bureaucracy) smiles appoval on my application and I will be allowed to stay until the end of October. After which, I will be going HOME after a prolonged stopover in Europe for some travel and fun.

The last six weeks here shall be well filled. I'm planning a conference/meeting for parents of hearing impaired children and for some people who work in hearing impairment/disability/special education. A chance to discuss some issues relevant to hearing impaired children in Delhi... and a chance for me to bring together many of the different people I've worked with while I've been here. Also the time has come for me to put together some reports on the research that I've done over this year. A difficult task, as I think that in the time during which I have been a college graduate, I have forgotten how to write anything academic whatsoever.

Not to mention the fun parts: I am hoping to travel to Assam with my buddy Michael who works on eco-tourism and corporate social responsibility in Northeastern India and Kashmir, and live it up in his eco-lodge. And I cannot leave India without visiting my lovely Rachita and her lovely family in Bombay, now that she is back in the Bharat Mata. So that'll be another trip to Bombay-- fourth visit in a year-- just can't stay away from a fabulous city like that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home