Thursday, July 26, 2007

Stop that Push and Shoving... Transportation in the Capital- Part 1

Part 1-- the Metro
The Delhi Metro used to be one of my favorite things in this city-- it is fast, clean, modern, on time, fully air conditioned, nicer than the London Tube, the DC Metro, and a helluva lot nicer than the NYC Subway. Nevertheless, in the 8 months that I've been here, I've come to hate riding the metro... for the reason that the people on trains are TOO DAMN PUSHY!

Here's what happens-- you are standing in your compartment as the train pulls into your stop. There are about 10 of you getting off at the stop, and on the platform are about 20 people trying to get inside the very same door through which you are exiting. Here, there is no law of letting people out before the waiting passengers walk in, so everyone just pushes! You literally have to fight and push with your hands and arms and elbows to make your way through the maelstrom--if you don't, there is no way you'll get off that train. So today, when I arrived at the station where I wanted to change lines, I felt my heart start beating faster and my hands get all sweaty as I prepared to push my way past the oncoming passengers blocking my exit. Which is what I did, and I made it through the doors, glaring at all the people around me who don't understand the simple rules of boarding trains.

So, I thought I was a bigger, better, more rule-abiding person than the rest of that crowd... well, I proved myself wrong. As I waited for my connecting train, the platform got more crowded. By the time the train pulled in, there were 25 or so of us crowing around one set of double doors, and 5 or so people waiting to make their way out of the doors. As soon as said doors slid open, the push began, from in front of me, behind me, all sides of me. Damn, I want to catch this train as much as the next person does! I'm not going to let some teenagers behind me push me out of the way! So I start shoving and elbowing and clawing my way into the train along with everyone else while the exiting passengers try futilely to make their way out. I make it into the train. Safe! I don't care if I shoved five people out of my way! I've got places to go and if this is how the world works, I better play the game!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home