Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I learn that I am damn inflexible-- and reevaluate yoga

This might sound sacreligious to say, especially in India, but I'd always secretly thought that yoga was kind of...tame. The sport for people who don't play sports. I mean, I like to stretch... but before and after a 40 minute run or set of tennis. But, seriously failing in the exercise department as of late, with Delhi being a difficult city to run in (for a number of reasons, including traffic and dogs and staring men and heat), I decided I should give yoga a shot.

I went with my friend Rafaela to her class at the Brazilian embassy and learned that yoga is hard work!! It felt simultaneously great and tortuous; I didn't want it to end but I also couldn't wait to stop. And that's how I like good exercise to feel. I am horrendously inflexible, I mean seriously seriously stiff, and have been all my life. I always used to think that this was a reason why I WOULDNT be a yoga person... but maybe it's an activity that's all the more important for people not blessed with natural grace and flexibility?

I'm kinda kicking myself now for living in India for a year, and ONLY checking out yoga in my last month! Especially when it's starting to get cooler and I conceivably could go running or play tennis any of these days. Where was yoga in the hot summer when I needed it?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home